Thursday, December 30, 2010

chocolate oranges

Every year around this time, I open up a chocolate orange and begin to wonder the same thing. As I remove wedges of the chocolate treat, is there any point at which the surface area of the partially-eaten chocolate orange is greater than the surface area of the intact orange? In other words, given a piece of foil that just covers the full orange (with no foil left over), will removing wedges render the foil insufficient to cover the remaining orange?

1 comment:

  1. I would say definitely. This would be most apparent after the first piece is removed. At that point, the small surface area that represented the outside of that one slice would be far less than the surface area of the sides of both of the pieces that are now exposed. I'm not sure I know how to prove this mathematically, but my spacial reasoning says this is right. However, it would probably only take removing a small number of additional pieces before this no longer holds. My question for you is, why would you eat a chocolate orange? My experience has always been they look far more appealing than they taste.

    ReplyDelete